Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bloodstone Heart - Author Interview With T. Lynne Tolles



Release Notes is thrilled to have CBLS featured author T. Lynne Tolles as guest author interview.  I found her words to be interesting and inspiring!  I hope you enjoy!

RN: When did you first realize you wanted to be an author?
TLT: I’m not sure. It certainly wasn’t my goal in life. I was actually trying to make a point with my teenager and it all kind of fell into place.


RN: On average, how long does it take you to write a book?
TLT: I would guesstimate somewhere between three to six months.


RN: Where do you find writing inspiration?
TLT: Everywhere, but if you want to get specific, most of my writing seems to happen in that pre-dream state just before I fall asleep.  I work out most of my plots and problem areas in this state. I guess it is when my mind is the most open to ideas and doesn’t have the stress of life ruling it.


RN: When did you write your first book and how old were you?
TLT: I didn’t enjoy writing in school. I guess I didn’t like being told what I had to write about even if it was very general.  It wasn’t until a couple of years ago that I even had an inkling of stepping up to the task.


RN: What do you think makes a good story?
TLT: Real People…I like to think that if you make your characters as real as possible with feasible conversations and plausible reactions, than the characters can carry the story. Using life experiences in your writing helps you to connect to your readers.  A great story helps too, but if you can’t connect with the characters in the book than you’re probably not going to like any story that involves them.


RN: Does your family (and/or close friends) know that you write and are a published author of romance fiction? If so, are they supportive of your efforts? 
TLT: Yes. My mom and step-mom are beta readers and have no problem telling me what I could improve on.  My daughter has read some of the series, so yes all in all everyone has been very supportive


RN: Is there another sub-genre aside from your primary sub-genre that you would like to write for and why?
TLT: No, at least not at the moment, of course, that may change in the future, but for now I’m very happy in the genre I’m in.


RN: Is there a main genre besides romance that you would like to write for? 
TLT: If I were to ever venture out of the Young Adult genre, I suppose it would still be paranormal romance, just a little spicier. (giggles)  As it is I get embarrassed writing the love scenes even with them as tame as they are. That would be a pretty big leap for me.

RN: Aside from romance, are there any other types of fiction/literature that you enjoy reading? 
TLT: Classics I suppose…Dickens, the Bronte sisters, Jane Austin, etc.

RN: How important is reader feedback, good or bad, to you?
TLT: It’s all good. I try to look at everything as a whole and that it is all a learning experience. I’d be insane to think that no one would hate my books, after all the world is filled with different personalities and we all don’t like the same things. Think how boring the world would be if we all like the same things. I love getting letters from people and try to take their questions as a priority. As for reviews…well I think they are important, but I try not to take them too personally.

RN: What do you like to do when you're not writing?
TLT: Love jigsaw puzzles, computer games, knitting, sewing and napping. (Yes napping – it’s my favorite past time)

RN: What advice, if any, do you have for aspiring authors?
TLT: Hold fast to your dream and it will take you where you need to go. It may not take you in the direction you think it will but you’ll never know unless you try.

No comments: